#3: Brighton 2-0 Liverpool 29/01/1984

#3 BRIGHTON 2-0 LIVERPOOL FA Cup Round Four Replay
Sunday 29th January 1984 ITV 1983

1984 BHA LIV titles

PRESENTER Jim Rosenthal GUESTS Ian St John & Jimmy Greaves
COMMENTATORS Brian Moore & Ron Atkinson REPORTER Martin Tyler
2.35pm Kick Off; Goldstone Ground     2.30-4.30pm The Big Match Live on ITV

1984 Rosenthal 1984 Saint 1984 Greaves 1984 Studio

Context of the Match: Having got to the FA Cup Final last season and eventually beaten in the Replay by Manchester United, Brighton now found themselves 10th in Division Two ahead of this match. Liverpool were amongst the favourites to win this year’s Cup and were favourites going into this match. Brighton were buoyed by the fact several of that Cup Final team were still present and had beaten Liverpool en route. This was an historic day for the club and for televised football. It was the first time the Goldstone Ground had hosted a Sunday Cup match, and a live television debut for the stadium. It was also the first time a second tier club had been shown live outside of an FA Cup Final.

1984 programme cover

The Teams: Brighton knocked Liverpool out at Anfield on their way to the Final of this competition the previous season. Five of the Albion line up from that match featured again today this time under manager Chris Cattlin; Gatting, Grealish, Foster, Ryan and Smillie. For the away side today, only Steve Nicol didn’t play in that match last season. Liverpool had goalscoring phenomenon Ian Rush in the starting XI to much fanfare and excitement from ITV. And future star pundits Mark Lawrenson, Alan Hansen and Graeme Souness all were showing off their ability for the superstars from Anfield.

1984 kick off 1984 Half Time

Presentation Team: This match was networked on ITV and their top domestic team were all present. Coverage was hosted by Jim Rosenthal, who had been at ITV since 1980. Jim worked on football and boxing throughout the 80s, including World Cup ’82, The Big Fight Live and regular co-host of The Big Match weekly highlights programme. On The Ball contributors Ian St John and Jimmy Greaves were the studio guests, sat in the corner of the Goldstone Ground. Lead commentator Brian Moore was joined by regular ITV contributor and current Manchester United manager Ron Atkinson in the commentary box. Atkinson’s United had beaten Brighton in the FA Cup Final Replay the previous season; a match in which Rosenthal, Moore, Saint and Greavsie all worked on for ITV. Number 2 commentator and Granada region main man Martin Tyler was the touchline reporter on today’s match. Tyler was behind Moore in the pecking order however got his big chance at the international tournaments. With Moore anchoring proceedings in London, Tyler took up lead commentary duties at both the 1982 World Cup and later the 1984 European Championships. Tyler of course would go on to be the number 1 for Sky Sports for their Premiership coverage in the 1990s.

1984 credits 1984 credits2 1984 programme notes

The Coverage: Match coverage began five minutes before the 2.35pm Sunday afternoon kick off. The familiar sounds of Jeff Wayne’s ‘Jubilation‘ roared out as The Big Match Live theme tune, having been used for the show since 1980, and my personal favourite of all the music they had over the years. The studio team located in the corner of the Goldstone, with the pitch visible behind Rosenthal and Greaves whilst the houses nearby could be viewed behind St John, had enough time to talk up the prospect of Ian Rush leading the line for Liverpool. Rush was compared to “the greatest British goalscorer of them all” Jimmy Greaves during Rosenthal’s intro, cue laughs as we got a shot of Jimmy handing over cash for such a warm welcome. And that was pretty much all there was time for in the build up before the teams came out.

This being 1984 the graphics were minimal and used only when necessary; starting line up, name for interview and not much else! The permanent scoreboard and clock wasn’t really introduced until almost a decade later so if you weren’t paying attention you’d be relying on score and time updates from Brian Moore throughout. We didn’t have our first action replay until around 16 minutes in, when the first decent shot occurred. Going in and out of breaks we got the half and full time scores come up, as well as once or twice in play, but no more. And were we worse off without endless replays and graphics? Not particularly. Before the start of the second half reporter Martin Tyler grabbed a quick word with Brighton’s Scouser Jimmy Case, who was unable to play today due to suspension, before handing back to our commentary team. When the coverage returned after the full time whistle commercial break we were able to have a little bit of chat from Saint and Greavsie preceded by a short Martin Tyler interview with captain Steve Foster before Jim said good evening to us, by which time the curtains(!) in the studio had been drawn, the window was no longer visible and it was time to roll the credits.

1984 tyler interview 1984 foster interview

Story of the Match: Brighton were a division apart and clear underdogs as the pundits pointed out, yet certainly made the better start of the two sides. The first decent chance fell to Liverpool through Nicol’s fierce shot well held by Corrigan. The away team were forced to defend sensibly throughout the first half, as the Albion’s front four used their pace to good effect. Liverpool captain Graeme Souness was forced off early with a hamstring injury, which only aided Brighton’s confidence. Ian Rush had a golden chance right on 45 minutes when he was thwarted first by Corrigan and then the rebound was blocked on the line superbly by Foster. The breakthrough was yet to come as the half time whistle blew but Liverpool were looking more and more dangerous. The game livened up in the second half as the sun shone down over a full Goldstone Ground. Brighton started strongly again in the second half and it took just 12 minutes before Gerry Ryan was put clear by Grealish behind the Liverpool defence and chipped it over Grobbelaar to break the deadlock. And just over a minute later Terry Connor was sent through beating the offside trap and shot past the keeper from outside the penalty area to shock Liverpool and make it two-nil. Both really cool finishes and the game was never really recovered from there. There were few chances of note after this point and Brighton were through to the 5th Round of the FA Cup once more. ITV got themselves a Cup upset.

Ryan, Connor

1984 Full time



EXTRA: I purchased the matchday programme on eBay in 2018 and noticed there were some very interesting articles for this tie about sports broadcasting from a few names who would become synonymous with televised coverage of the game.

1984 Parry 1984 moore 1984 Clive

And it would appear our manager Chris Cattlin wasn’t too keen on the ITV cameras being there to show the match Live; 1984 manager

About Mark O'MEARA
I am Mark O'MEARA.

2 Responses to #3: Brighton 2-0 Liverpool 29/01/1984

  1. Pingback: #2: Brighton 0-4 Manchester United 26/05/1983 | Mark O'MEARA

  2. Pingback: #4: Bournemouth 3-1 Brighton 24/09/1995 | Mark O'MEARA

Have your say

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: