#23: Brighton 2-3 Crystal Palace 20/11/2005

#23 BRIGHTON 2-3 CRYSTAL PALACE Championship
Sunday 20th November 2005 Image result for

PAL Titles

PRESENTER George Gavin GUEST Micky Adams
COMMENTATORS Bill Leslie & Tony Gale REPORTER Greg Whelan
1.30pm Kick Off; Withdean Stadium      1-3.30pm Football League Live on Sky Sports 1

SheffWed05 Ident PAL Sponsors PAL Intro

Context of the Match: This was the first Live televised meeting between arch-rivals Brighton and Crystal Palace, a derby most outside of the two clubs just do not comprehend. Matches between the two sides have been scarce in recent times, with just three prior to today in the past fifteen years. Brighton won the last head-to-head one-nil at Selhurst Park just four weeks ago, courtesy of Paul McShane’s header to write himself into Albion folklore. However that was Brighton’s only win in the last twelve this season, leaving the club second from bottom in the Championship. The opposition arrived having been relegated from the Premiership last season after just one year back in the top flight. Their fans would be housed in the new West Stand behind the goal left-of-camera at Withdean, moving from the corner behind the other goal and taking the capacity to over 7,000 at the club’s temporary home. The talk in the build up and in the stands was of celebration at Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott’s decision to approve planning permission for the new stadium at the Falmer site more than five miles away. However the matchday programme at the ground gave a warning that would turn out to be proved correct when stating “Lewes District Council officers will make a decision as to whether they’ll push for a Judicial Review on 24th November”. The news would not be welcome.

PAL Brighton PAL Palace PAL Formation

The Teams: Goalscoring hero from the win at Selhurst a month ago, Paul McShane, was not in the squad due to suspension so Adam El-Abd took his place for his first League start this season. On-loan Alan Blayney began in goal with on-loan Wayne Henderson out and Michel Kuipers still injured. Another long-term casualty was Richard Carpenter so the same midfield quartet as in the last televised game at Sheffield Wednesday began this one; with Dean Hammond and Charlie Oatway at the heart of everything. Up-front Colin Kazim-Richards made way for top scorer Leon Knight, who had fallen out with manager Mark McGhee ahead of Brighton’s last match two weeks ago – a three-nil defeat to Stoke. Gary Hart’s versatility continued having gone from striker to winger to right back over the past few seasons. Southampton veteran Jason Dodd was on the Brighton bench. Crystal Palace had their star striker Andy Johnson out injured still, having also missed the reverse fixture. Experienced Dougie Freedman and Clinton Morrison provided Palace’s attacking prowess. Gabor Kiraly kept goal in his trademark grey jogging bottoms. Fitz Hall, nicknamed ‘One Size’, was alongside Darren Ward at the back for Iain Dowie’s team. Only Freedman played for the Eagles the last time they beat Brighton three years ago. Eight of their starting line-up played in their Premiership relegation season last year. Taking charge of the match was Mick Fletcher.

PAL Gavin PAL Adams PAL Studio PAL Whelan

Presentation Team: Whilst Jeff Stelling had a monopoly on Monday night matches, it was George Gavin who continued to host all other Football League Live broadcasts this season. He was situated in the South-West corner of Withdean in the Sky box. His guest this Sunday lunchtime was former Brighton manager Micky Adams. This provided both a welcome home and current scouting mission for Adams, with his Coventry side playing Crystal Palace next. He won Division Three with the Albion but no televised games came during that period so this is the first time he and Brighton have been together for a Live broadcast. Reporting on the touchline as usual was Greg Whelan. In the commentary box for the third successive Brighton Live game was Tony Gale. Also for the third successive Brighton Live game, he was with a different lead commentator. After Rob Hawthorne on Ipswich and Ian Crocker at Sheffield Wednesday, today it was the turn of Bill Leslie making his Brighton debut. Leslie joined Sky last season covering Football First delayed Premiership 3pm matches, Live Champions League and occasional cover on the League behind Crocker and Hawthorne (including the League Two Play Off Final last May). This season his workload has increased further in this Division to incorporate more Live matches when Ian Crocker isn’t available. He was previously one of the commentators for Capital Gold radio, the training ground of many great broadcasters, and worked as a reporter and occasional highlights voice for Channel Five. He also did a bit of presenting on Sky News and Sky Sports News when the football season had finished but was now quickly establishing himself as Sky’s Football League number two.

PAL Fans  PAL Mayo  PAL on the road  PAL VT PAL Knight

The Coverage: Regular slots for Live Football League matches this season were Friday nights, Monday nights and Sunday lunchtimes. This occasion was the latter, playing warm-up to the main Super Sunday event coming up when Sky Sports weren’t showing a Premiership double-header. The regular top flight kick-off time of 1.30pm was also used for the Football League, meaning we got half an hour build up but extremely little post match. The title sequence remained as The Farm’s ‘All Together Now’ with those lovely graphics introduced at the start of the season. Host George Gavin and guest Micky Adams were in the studio at the ground, now situated alongside the away fans in the new West Stand. The build up consisted of a quick round-up of the best of the Championship goals from yesterday, as well as a lengthy feature about the troubled time Brighton have had fighting for a new stadium, which at the time of broadcast we all believed was finally sorted and the ground would be just two-and-a-half years away from completion. Local lad Kerry Mayo was the interviewee, having been there since the worst times when we nearly fell out of the League in 1996/97. He spoke about the final day showdown with Hereford, the selling of the Goldstone Ground to become a retail park, playing home games at Gillingham and the subsequent resurgence at Withdean on the field to now. It was a detailed, accurate account of the club’s struggles over the past decade. Mayo said “When we get the stadium and the financial stability for the club then we can look to bring in bigger names. The structure of the club will be a lot more solid and that’ll be the next step to hopefully the Premiership where I feel this club belongs.” How true that would turn out to be. Eventually! With Micky Adams being today’s pundit the focus was naturally more slanted towards the Albion. Chairman Dick Knight was then interviewed pitchside by the studio team, still very much in a celebratory mood but reminding “we’re still a long way from Falmer”. Both managers were then probed by Greg Whelan before a quick advert break prior to the teams coming out of the tunnel. Coverage came off air very shortly after the final whistle went, with just enough time for Gavin to talk us through the table and thank Micky Adams before signing off to make way for the Live Super Sunday between Middlesbrough and Fulham from 3.30pm. Post match interviews were shown on Sky Sports News.

PAL Minute silence PAL Kick off  PAL Comms  PAL Fatboy Slim

Story of the Match: Ahead of the match a terribly organised minute’s silence took place, with the referee blowing the whistle during the PA announcement meaning the minute was spent with the ground silent apart from the tannoy.  This was for ex-Brighton captain Glen Wilson and former Palace man Alf Noakes who passed away this week. An early error by Blayney, carrying the ball out of his penalty area, gave Crystal Palace an opportunity to attack which came to nothing and was fortunate not to have received a card for his mistake. A quick counter attack at the other end saw Seb Carole fizz an excellent ball into the box to find Jake Robinson who couldn’t get the right connection to get a shot off and a great chance went begging. But it was to be Brighton who would break the deadlock after twenty-two minutes. Leon Knight, back in favour with the manager, rounded off a nice move with a wonderful backheel flick into the net. The ball was given away in the centre of the pitch, picked up by Frutos who drove forward towards the goalline. He outpaced his defender and drilled a low cross into the middle where Knight was waiting to improvise magnificently. A minute later Frutos again was involved and nearly made it two, with a volley from the eighteen yard line just clipping the top of the bar. But it was not to last as Dougie Freedman crept into the box to nod home an equaliser just five minutes later. He combined with his strike partner Morrison who crossed from the far side of the box and Freedman leaped unchallenged to score his 100th Crystal Palace goal. That’s how it remained at the break.

PAL Hart Red PAL Table

Five minutes into the second half it was very much game on as Brighton were awarded a penalty. Spot kicks are part and parcel of this rivalry of course! Jake Robinson was adjudged by the linesman to have been pulled to the ground by Borrowdale. Up stepped Leon Knight to just about squeeze the ball through and under Kiraly who got a big touch but it wasn’t enough. The lead wasn’t to last though as Dougie Freedman got his second of the game just before the hour mark, despite a good spell from the Albion. A good breakaway run from Reich saw Freedman with the ball on the edge of the area. He took a touch to take it slightly wide into the box, past Butters, to unleash a fierce shot drilled hard and low to the bottom right hand side of Blayney’s net. A goal from nothing but expertly taken and the dynamics of the game changed again. Very few chances fell for either side after this but two yellow cards within the space of three minutes for Gary Hart saw the utility man sent-off with four minutes remaining, whilst also picking up an injury from a challenge by futurer Brighton forward Calvin Andrews. Neither yellow card could be argued against; the first was a late foul and the second a deliberate handball to stop the ball going on behind him. To cap it all off, Crystal Palace nicked a win in the last minute of the four added on. Substitute Jobi McAnuff hit one from twenty yards out which clipped at least one defender on the way through, catching Blayney out and nestling in the bottom corner of the goal. In the days after this match, Lewes District Council did indeed launch a legal bid to overturn the planning permission for the new stadium and the whole thing was delayed further whilst both sides were listened to again. By the time of the next Live match eleven months later we were still waiting official confirmation of where the club would be playing in the years to come. At the end of the season Brighton were relegated from the Championship after two years, finishing bottom of the table. Palace would make the Play Offs but lose out to Watford in the Final. The rivalry would have to wait a few more years to resume.

Knight (2) Freedman (2), McAnuff

PAL Replay PAL Goal

EXTRA; Post match interviews were broadcast on Sky Sports News due to the scheduling of the Live programme’s off-air time being so soon after the final whistle. About twenty minutes after the programme ended, they brought us an interview with Mark McGhee. Afternoon Report was the daily slot around 12-5pm, with the programme’s theme tune being Deepest Blue – ‘Shooting Star’. Presenters Di Stewart and Dave Clark rounded up the day’s headlines before introducing the Brighton boss and his interview with Greg Whelan.

PAL SSN titles PAL SSN presenter

McGhee believed not just a point was deserved but victory was snatched away from his team at the death. “The sending off has cost us the game… Disappointed not to have won the game let alone draw it.” He went on to dispute the second yellow card awarded to Gary Hart, saying he was fouled (which caused Hart’s injury) and wanted the linesman and fourth official to have done more to help the referee. All in all a frustrating day for the Seagulls.



NEXT; #24 BRIGHTON 0-3 BLACKPOOL 08/10/2006

About Mark O'MEARA
I am Mark O'MEARA.

2 Responses to #23: Brighton 2-3 Crystal Palace 20/11/2005

  1. Pingback: #22: Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Brighton 24/10/2005 | Mark O'MEARA

  2. Pingback: #24: Brighton 0-3 Blackpool 08/10/2006 | Mark O'MEARA

Have your say

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: